CO2 & Climate Change
As climate change poses a threat to our ability and that of future generations to live and grow in a peaceful and prosperous world, it is central to our agenda. Consequently, we put much effort into the way we think, develop and manage each business, with a view to limiting the average temperature increase to 1.5°C, in line with the commitment made under the Paris Pledge for Action - an initiative that arose in the context of the Paris Climate Summit (COP21) intended to protect the planet from climate change and which establishes a corporate commitment to limit the temperature increase to 2ºC above that of the pre-industrial era.
Aiming at carbon neutrality, each of Sonae Capital's companies will design an ambitious response, adapted to its business context and geography, based on known best practices and available technological and scientific knowledge, focusing on the solutions that present the best integrated results.
It is a challenging and complex path, which requires joint and concerted action for which we have translated our vision into a Letter of Principles for CO2 & Climate Action, where we have laid out our priority actions.
1. Assessing business exposure to Climate Risks and setting mitigation and resilience enhancement measures;
2. Promoting efficiency and flexibility of energy consumption of our activities;
3. Decarbonising the energy matrix through electrification of consumption, production and purchase of electricity from renewable energy sources and implementing carbon offsetting actions;
4. Developing low-carbon products and services, encouraging informed consumer choice;
5. Implementing education and awareness-raising actions for climate change aimed at employees, customers, partners;
6. Intensifying partnerships with universities and research institutions to foster the development of innovative solutions that allow for the decarbonisation of our activities;
7. Monitoring and communicating the Group’s climate performance.